The Holy Spirit, the Defender of Jesus

• 2011.06.06 14:42

Acts 1:4-8

“On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:4-8). God loves man. The love of God is to save men who should perish and go to hell because of their sin. He wanted to solve men's sin problem, the source of their pain, so He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross to take away their sin. Jesus said to His disciples that He would give His life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). On the night He was betrayed, He went to Gethsemane and prayed desperately with loud cries and tears to His Father God, but God decided to let Him die for the salvation of man (Hebrews 5:7). The Jews wanted to kill Jesus, and because He testified in the Jewish court in front of many people that He was the Son of God, they charged Him with blasphemy. At first Pilate, the Roman governor of Judea, announced that he had found no grounds for Jesus to receive the death penalty, so he would merely punish Him and then release Him (Luke 23:13-22). But the Jews wanted Pilate to crucify Jesus and to release Barabbas, a murderer, to them instead of Jesus. Pilate tried to defend Jesus but it was no use. He was afraid of an uproar, so he decided to give in to their demand and he handed the innocent Jesus over to be crucified (Mark 27:22-24). The judgment of Jesus had been unjust. Who was able to defend Jesus in that hostile atmosphere? Jesus knew that His disciples weren’t, which is why He had told them before that they will all fall away on account of Him (Mark 26:31). Therefore, the Lord didn't choose the powerful, His disciples, or those whose impossibilities had been solved by Jesus, to be His defender. He chose the Holy Spirit (John 15:26-27). At that time, a cross was the place where the worst sinner was hung, cursed and killed (Galatians 3:13-14). Who could testify that Jesus, who died on the cross, was God's Son? Only the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26. God and the Holy Spirit have been testifying about how Jesus died on the cross, to carry our sin and to save us from sin, curses, pain and eternity in hell. The Holy Spirit lets us know that our Savior Jesus Christ took our all burdens, He lets believe in Him and experience the grace of salvation (Isaiah 53:5-6). Therefore we can say that Jesus is Lord through the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:3). “Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.” 1 Corinthians 12:3. Who would testify to us about Jesus if the Holy Spirit had not come on us? The Holy Spirit has been helping us to know the salvation of Jesus Christ even though it has been disregarded by many. We are those who know and experience Jesus Christ and are saved by the Holy Spirit. Let's give respectful thanks to God for His indescribable grace.

트위터 페이스북 구글플러스 싸이공감 네이트온 쪽지 구글 북마크 네이버 북마크