[Shepherding the sheep with one heart] Thanks for the blood of Jesus

• 2017.09.12 11:16

When we are first saved, we walk by faith wholeheartedly, we give thanks for our salvation and we enjoy attending services.  A few years later, we often find that our attitude to our faith life has become half-hearted.  As the Lord warned the church in Laodicea, we must always be zealous to ensure that our faith does not become lukewarm. 

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15~16) 

We must deeply love the Lord Jesus who saved us from sin and curses and hell, but we can’t because we forget to give thanks.  The reasons why we don’t give thanks to God and forget His grace are:  first, we don’t acknowledge the existence of God.  Second, our minds and thoughts are distracted by the futile culture of this world.   

Human beings don’t easily forget the people who help them when they are in trouble.  Have you ever thanked God, who sent His only Son and let Him die on the cross to save you from sin, curses and the punishment of hell?  Have you said, “My God, I will never forget the grace you have given me”?  Or do you always just ask God for help?  All our prayers to God must start with thanksgiving. 

If you don’t give thanks to the Lord, it means you don’t give thanks for the sacrifice of the blood of the Lord.  We ought to always be thankful to God the Father in the Name of Jesus.  The grace of Jesus Christ in taking up our wages of sin means that we have forgiveness of sin, the power to heal diseases, the ability to pray and salvation.  This is why we must give thanks to God who has shown us such favour.  

Thanksgiving should not be something that we just do out of habit.  If you don’t give thanks for the sacrifice of the blood of Jesus on the cross, you will be relying on your own righteousness, effort and work.  I hope you will receive spiritual blessings by giving thanks every day for the sacrifice of the blood of Jesus on the cross. 

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon
Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #531 (June 10, 2017)