[Shepherding the sheep with one heart] The first thing is to overcome spiritual slump

• 2018.08.13 04:32

Statistically, two people die of hunger every second.  Right now, lots of people are dying of hunger.  They are dying because they have no food to feed their flesh.  But when their lives end, they will realise that the death of their spirit without Jesus was a bigger problem than the death of their flesh. 

When you have no food and no Jesus, it is important to consider which should be dealt with first.  Many doctors say that we should give food first.  But what if they die before we save their lives by giving them food?  We must always give them Jesus first. 

Those who have the mind to give Jesus also have the mind to give food.  Giving food first and Jesus later is not right.  How can a person who gives Jesus – whose importance cannot be compared with food – not then also give food?  Giving food without Jesus is just human charity.  Only giving food with Jesus can solve the problems of spiritual hunger and thirst. 

Members of a church must have the earnest hope to eat and drink God’s righteousness with the same intensity as a person who is physically hungry and thirst.  And a pastor has the source of righteousness to provide for a person who is hungry and thirst.  Jesus’ disciples said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk”. (Acts3:6)  Like the disciples, we must be able to give Jesus. 

Jesus said that we need Him to solve our spiritual problems more urgently than we need food to satisfy the hunger of our flesh.  The Lord said that the Kingdom of Heaven and righteousness must be brought about in human beings.  We must break out of the spiritual slump that we are in, rather than the slump of our physical surroundings.  That is why Jesus said, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew6:33)

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon
Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #583 (July 14, 2018)