[Shepherding the sheep with One heart] The gentleness of Jesus which he went through suffering and humiliation

• 2019.04.16 17:36

The day before Jesus took up the Cross, a large crowd with swords and clubs, sent by the chief priests and the elders of the people, went to arrest Jesus in Gethsemane, as though they were capturing a robber.  Peter then drew out his sword and cut off the ear of Malchus, the servant of the high priest.  Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Put your sword back in its place, for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?” After that, Jesus touched his ear and healed him. I am sure Malchus was overwhelmed by the almighty power of the Lord.

Soon afterwards, Jesus was dragged with ropes to Caiaphas.  He did not use His power, and He suffered so badly.  He was flogged after being mocked by the Roman soldiers.  He had healed the mute, opened the eyes of the blind, driven out evil spirits and had raised the dead to life.  Nevertheless, Jesus remained silent while He was mocked – even when then put the crown of thorns on His head, put a scarlet robe on Him, put a staff in His right hand and flogged Him.  He didn’t resist them when He was going to Golgotha carrying the heavy cross.  We see here the gentleness and obedience of Jesus the Son of God as He fulfilled the will of the Father:  the salvation of human beings.  

The fact that He was taken prisoner doesn’t mean that He was weak and had no power.  He had almighty power to stop those who were inflicting pain on Him.  He was the Creator who had said, “Let there be…” – and there it was.  He said “Be gone” – and it was gone.  However, He did not use His power at this time, but died on the cross.  This is the gentleness of Jesus. 

His gentleness allowed Him to be dragged away without saying a word so that He could save us from the punishment of Hell, taking away the sins of all mankind.  We also need to have the gentleness of the Lord, who did not resist being led like a lamb to the slaughter. 

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon 

Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #608