[Shepherding the sheep with One heart] A healthy Christian is hungry.

• 2019.06.29 16:15

Blessings in the Bible are different from worldly blessings.  The world says that blessings are having lots of food, drink, money, knowledge, honor and power.  But the Bible says “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.”(Matthew5:6) And it says that they will be filled. Likewise, the opposite happens when we compare earthly riches and spiritual riches. 

I had a good appetite in my youth, so I used to check the time frequently because I was hungry. I was eagerly waiting for lunch time, even when I had a long time to wait for the meal. After waiting for a long time, I sat at the table for a meal. But I ate quickly, not having time to chew the food properly.

The more hungry you feel, the more you keep eating until you are full. You stop eating when you are full. But the more we live a life of faith, the more we can’t stop living the life of faith, because spiritually, we eagerly long for it more and more. The more we receive grace, the more eager we are to live the life of faith. On the other hand, those who don’t feel hunger and thirst for righteousness can’t feel spiritual hunger and thirst even though they come to church. This is because they just come and go to the church as religious people, not believing in Jesus who they experienced in the faith. 

Those who have a healthy faith which is full of life devote all their energies in their faith life  to fill their thirst and hunger with the grace of God. Such people don’t turn down the task entrusted by the Lord but do that positively, knowing that it is good for their souls.

They are full of joy after finishing prayer when their prayer went well. So they want to pray again soon. Such people who experienced spiritual satisfaction can’t help praying, reading the Bible and listening to sermons. Such people have a spiritually healthy faith. 

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon

Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #624