[Shepherding the sheep with One heart] The one who is in debt to love.

• 2021.08.07 23:45

Long ago, I was on my way back home with church members from a revival meeting in the cold winter. I saw a woman screaming sadly at cars in pain and bleeding by the side of the road. She seemed to have been in a car accident.

Surprisingly, lots of cars which were ahead of us just passed by the woman without doing anything for her. We pulled a car over to the side of the road and went to her. She got a severe injury on a leg by an accident. We got her into the car and took her to a nearby hospital.

Those who passed by her must have reasons. But this case shows how heartless and cruel our society has become today. Now, at the end of the world, people love only themselves. They don’t care about the misfortunes of others. And it is getting worse. 

If God loved himself only, he wouldn’t make up His mind to save people sending the only Son and letting him die on the Cross. If Jesus loved himself only, he wouldn’t carry out the salvation of humans to the point of death being crucified with nails in his hands and feet, being treated with contempt, being flogged, and being cursed. However, God himself loved mankind so handed over his only Son. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, also loved his people so He thoroughly used his life for mankind. God created us as a target to love.

When we are loved so much by God, what kind of way of life should we follow? Paul said in Romans 8:12, “Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation.” We can’t pay off the debt of love from Jesus. But there is a way called evangelism to pay off the debt. The only way is to share the love that I received with neighbors.

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon

Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #695