Thanksgiving in the Name of Jesus

• 2015.07.13 13:40

I’ve often seen a new believer attend the church services steadily after enjoying the service through the sermon, but as the years went by, they slack in leading a godly life. It’s like a red-hot iron which was hot but cools down when taken out of the fire.

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”(Revelation 3:15-16)

As the Lord God said to the church in Laodicea, we must not be lukewarm while leading our life of faith. When you have believed in Jesus for a long time, you must love Him more fervently by giving thanks to Him for the grace as you are saved by the blood of Jesus shed on the cross.

What you are lukewarm about living a godly life it means you have forgotten thanksgiving. These are the reasons why many people don’t give thanks to God for His grace; firstly, they don’t know God. Secondly, their minds and thoughts are tempted by the culture of the world. If a Christian doesn’t thank God, they have faint faith of the grace that Jesus was dead on the cross by taking up their sin and saved them from their sin, curses and destruction in hell. We always give thanks to God the Father for everything in he name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(Ephesians 5:20) Jesus made atonement for our sins by being crucified and saving us. That’s why we heal diseases and pray in the name of Jesus. Moreover, we are saved from sins, curses and punishment in hell by the name of Jesus. If we thank God without the name of Jesus, our efforts and trouble for the Lord God become our own righteousness.

God wants someone who bears the name of Jesus to give glory to God because they give thanks for the grace of God. We shouldn’t give thanks to God from force of habit. We have to truly thank God with all our heart and soul.

Seok-Jeon Yoon
Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #440 (June 27, 2015)