A Prayer that God wants

• 2015.09.08 16:57

If a person lives by faith, it is natural for his prayers to be answered every day, anytime.“Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”(Mat 6:8) Some misunderstand this verse’s meaning and say, “God knows everything, so we don’t have to pray.” However, Jesus did not say this. The Lord said, “Ask.”(Mat 7:7, John 14:14, John 15:7, John 16:24) It means the Lord will satisfy your needs when you ask him because he knows better than you what you need. If you ask something different from what God wants you to ask, your prayer would not be answered.
Even if you pray “God, I absolutely need this. Please give it to me,” God would say, “No, you definitely don’t need that.”For example, if someone got ill because of his or her sins, and they pray, “God, please heal me from my illness,” God will say, “The more urgent matter is the sin that caused the illness. Repent cleanly of the sin first.” You should pray to be given wisdom to ask God properly because He knows what you need. God knows your every requirement. You should pray, “God, please let me see myself with your eyes, realize what I need and ask properly,” because prayer is the certain law. It is mandatory for us to be given if we ask what God wants. The Bible shows us God’s will toward us. We can never understand it through human knowledge. We can only understand when the one who wrote the Scripture lets us know. We can realize its meaning only when the Holy Spirit who made men write all Scripture in Him teaches us, (2 Tim 3:16)

Seok-Jeon Yoon
Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #448 (Aug 22, 2015)