The Prayer of Faith

• 2015.09.19 10:46

In the gospel according to Mark, chapter 9, a man brought his son to the disciples and asked them to drive out the spirit, but they could not. Just at that moment, as Jesus came, he ran to him and said,

"It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us. 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." (Mark 9:22-23)

It means you should believe that the Lord came to take away all the sin of humankind and expel curses and demons, and make a relationship of faith with God. Your prayers are answered by faith in the relationship between you and God. You should build it with God so that you can get the answers of yours prayers from God.

Suppose God wants to work, but there is a gap in faith between God and you because you are wanting in the quantity of your faith. If you are to fill the gap, it is you, not God, who should build your faith and make your way to God. You should go into the area of faith where God can work for you. That is why we have free will and are a person.

The boy’s father confessed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24) and built a relationship of faith with Him. Then, Jesus made the impure spirit come out from the son. At a later time, His disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” Jesus replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.” (Mark 9:25-29)

Prayer is the foundation that could let God work, and faith is the resources with which God works through you. Please pray with faith that lets God work.

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon
 Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #450 (September 5 2015)