The Faith Life that Wins a Victory for your Whole Life

• 2015.10.22 12:12

When I was young, I could hear a bell ringing before the early morning prayer meeting started. At that time, clocks were so scarce that people used bells instead. Even though I heard the bell and thought I should go to the service, my body would not move. I should have gone when I thought about it, but I was overcome by fatigue. While the bell was ringing, there was a fierce struggle with the blanket, that is to say the battle of the mind that wants to go to the sunrise service and the body that wants to sleep more. If you do not win a victory in this battle, you fall asleep right away and your time to pray is taken away. While you live, you have numerous battles. You should not be defeated, especially in spiritual battles. If you are beaten in struggles like this, our faith life will fall. Therefore, you should have a victory at all costs. Your faith life should be the winning life. However, these days many Christians are not winning. When they pray, they also lose due to a great deal of distracting thoughts. They easily get tired after they start to pray, then a fight breaks out whether they ‘go to sleep,’ or ‘keep on praying.’ You should win this war. Your body is hopeless and powerless, because you can crack up even after you resolutely and make up your mind. Therefore, the Lord left your soul with the Holy Spirit, not with your body. “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” (John 16:13) Every time we go astray and make an attempt to walk the broad road that leads to destruction, led by the lust of the flesh, the Lord leaves our souls with the Holy Spirit and lets Him make our body win the sinful nature and preserve our souls. We should live a winning everyday life with the Spirit as the Lord said.

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon

Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #451 (September 12, 2015)