[Shepherding the sheep with One heart] Spiritual oasis

• 2018.01.29 10:37

When we look at human history from a Soteriological perspective, human beings suffered from spiritual thirst and hunger for thousands of years until Jesus, who provides spiritual life, came into this world. While eating and drinking with the disciples at the last supper on the night before Jesus was crucified, he said, “This is my body, which is for you. Eat my flesh and drink my blood. (John 6:54~58)” Jesus has become the bread of life and a spiritual oasis for those who were dying of spiritual hunger and thirst.

When you eat the bread of eternal life and take the drink which is Jesus’ flesh and blood, your heart is immeasurably filled with joy to such an extent that your dead soul comes to life. Those who can’t feel spiritual thirst think that having money is enough to get them through life, as long as their fleshly lives are going well. However, we must know there is a solution for bodily thirst – as long as the spiritual thirst has been solved first. This is God’s promise, not just people’s words.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew6:33) This means that God will grant us everything else after we are filled with his kingdom and his righteousness. When their spiritual thirst is solved, their physical thirst can be also solved. This is about the basic things in our life. The most important thing is that you must have an instinct for survival to live spiritually. Why were Hagar and Ishmael thrown out of Abraham’s house where there was enough food and water? It was because they were full of arrogance and failed to know their place. When Hager cried out in the desert repenting of her sins, God provided a well of water. (Genesis 21:19) Likewise, we must meet Jesus who is a spiritual oasis by repenting of the sins that are cardinal desires.

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon
Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #560 (January 13, 2018)