[Shepherding the Sheep with One Heart] Not as I Will, but as You Will.

• 2020.07.02 11:02

Jesus took his three disciples, Peter and James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, whom He trusted, along with Him when He went to a place called Gethsemane to pray. He said to them, ”My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” (Matthew 26:38) And going a little farther, He fell with his face to the ground and prayed. 

“My father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

Why did He have to do this? Why on earth did He do that for? Did we ever ask Him to die on the Cross for us and pay for wages of our sins? Did we make a petition to Him to die for us? Did we cry out to God saying, “I don’t want to go to hell. Please would You send Your Son to this world and save us? Not at all! God already knew about our situation that we are doomed to die for our sins and He Himself sent His only Son to this world to solve a problem of destruction

My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” (Matthew 26:42)

What kind of father in the world wish his son to die? What kind of father wants his only son in his arm to die? Father does not want his son to die.

God decided to let His Son die as a sacrifice to save us. We are free now from sin, curses and everlasting agony in hell because the Father’s wish was fulfilled by the Son. The Holy Spirit came upon the spirits which is holy after being forgiven sin as promised after the Son died according to the will of Father and resurrected and ascended into heaven. We are saved since the Son died as God wished. We must remember that all this happened because Jesus, Son of God, died.

Pastor Seok-Jeon Yoon

Extracted from Yonsei Newspaper #637